Glendale Community College
Hospitality & Tourism Management
Restaurant Operations Workshops
An Introduction to Restaurant Operations Certificate will be given upon completion of both workshops
Michael Lao holds a Master’s Degree in Hospitality Management from Cornell University and has been in the hotel & restaurant industry for over thirty years. Prior executive positions include Director of International Franchise Operations for Tony Roma’s Restaurant Chain, Operations Director for a multi-unit Quick Service chain, Franchise District Manager as well as key Executive positions in Hotel Management.
He is currently the Program Director of the Hospitality & Tourism Management Program at Glendale Community College and is the Operations Consultant to Absolutely Italian Management Group, the Eton Hotel brand and numerous food service concepts.
How to Start a Successful Restaurant Business (W 1)
(The Do’s and Don’ts)
It is a fact! Up to 90 % of new food service / restaurant ventures fail in the first year of operation! Learn why serving good food is no longer a guarantee for success! “The Total Dining Experience is the new standard!” Come and learn the secrets of operating a successful restaurant.
In this workshop you will learn:
- The reasons behind the high failure rate and things you can do to prevent some of the contributing factors.
- Whether you should build, buy or franchise a restaurant?
- How to find a good location?
- How to negotiate a restaurant lease?
- What to look for before you sign a franchise agreement.
- What is a “UFOC” - Uniform Franchise Offering Circular?
- The latest industry dining Trends.
Sales Building & Local Store Marketing (W 2)
Your restaurant is now in operation but the sales are not where it needs to be. You are working so hard on your business but sales figures are not moving up. Do you know the sales building strategies of successful independent and chain restaurants?
Do you know their philosophy on guest service?
Learn key strategies like:
- Branding Your concept
- Developing your USP
- S.W.O.T analysis – Concept Evaluation
- Value of “Word of Mouth”.
- Understanding “Lifetime Value” of a guest
- Methods of Sales Building
- Why we need to build sales
- Four approaches to building sales
- How to maximize your local store marketing dollars.
- Utilizing external and internal marketing.
- And many more management techniques!!