If you have students in your class with strong academic skills who are good with people and might be interested in helping other students, we welcome them to apply for tutor positions.
Recommend a Tutor
Instructor Recommendation Form (Word doc) - GCC username & password required.
Instructor Recommendation Online Form
What are the benefits for those getting tutored?
- Help from experienced, top-of-their-class students (who excel in the area you teach and who know the expectations in specific courses)
What are the benefits for those who choose to tutor?
- A part-time, higher-than-minimum wage job that will fit into their schedules
- Practice in the subject area or skill (one learns by teaching)
- Valuable experience working with people (and a great entry for their resumes and college applications)
What are the benefits for the school when students come for tutoring?
- Positive attendance
- Higher retention rates, it is hoped
- Positive student-to-student relationships
What are the requirements? The Learning Center requires all tutors to meet certain criteria:
- Have at least a 3.0 GPA
- Be recommended by an instructor
- Observe one to two tutoring sessions
- Be observed for a tutoring session
- Complete a tutor training seminar
Why are students required to complete a tutor training seminar?
Even though students may have mastered a specific subject area, they will still need to develop other skills to ensure they will be effective tutors. The seminar (most of which is online) will teach tutors the following:
- How to promote independent learning and set boundaries with students
- How to be respectful of individual differences within students (including cultural)
- How to recognize learning styles & possible learning obstacles and strategies to address those
- How to motivate students
- How to help students manage complex assignments
- How to listen well and prioritize
- Content-specific tips (for tutoring writing or math or science)
- Business/work protocols and how to work in a team environment
back to top